HDB Ordering Help
There are no items in your shopping cart.
Ultimate Handguard™ Install Page
HDB Ultimate Handguard™ Install:
1 HDB Top Clamp,
2 HDB Ultimate Handguards™,
1 Pair of Swivels,
1 Pair of Plastic Shields,
2 - Threaded Inserts,
1 - 5/8-11 tap,
4 - 8mm x 35mm SHCS,
2 - 8mm x 30mm BHCS w/ washers,
2 - 8mm x 20mm BHCS w/ washers,
2 - 8mm x 40mm FHCS,
4 - 5mm x 16mm BHCS w/ washers,
Mirrors are optional.
Please Note: If you ordered Ultimate Handguards™ w/o Top Clamp your set will not include the top clamp.
1. If you have grips on your bars, remove them and prep the ends for handguards by trimming the ends out of both sides and also the throttle tube. This needs to be done to ensure metal to metal contact of the handguards and handle bars
2. Tap the handlebar ends for threaded inserts, using a 11mm 12 point socket for the squareend of the tap and WD-40 or equivalent for a lubricant, run the tap in to the end of the threads. For best results keep the centerlines of the tap and the bars aligned, turn the tap one revolution clockwise before turning at least one revolution counterclockwise to break the chip, if the taps binds, back it out and blow out the shavings and continue.
3. Use blue Loctite to glue in the inserts.
4. Install the threaded the inserts. When installed correctly the inserts should be completely inside and to a depth of 1/32 beyond the end of the bars. When the guards are bolted up, they should tighten to the bars and not the inserts.
5. Attach the HDB Top Clamp using the 4-8mm x 30mm SHCS, tighten till snug. (Standard Top Clamp is bare, This one is black for contrast.)
6. Attach Swivel Bosses to Top Clamp using the 2-8mm x 30mm BHCS and washers, tighten till snug then back off 1-2 turns.
7. Attach the swivel end of the Handguards to the Swivel Bosses using the 2-8mm x 20mmBHCS and washers, tighten till snug then back off 1-2 turns.
8. Attach the bar ends of the Handguards using the 2-8mm x 40mm FHCS and tighten in desired position. In some cases, because of the different bends and raises of bars, there will be a gap that will need to be tightened up.